I’ve got 3 kids under the age of 6 and a husband who works out of town for 2 weeks at a time. Most nights I put my 21 month old in his crib around 7:15 PM, say goodnight and close the door. I finish up reading to the older two between 7:30-8:00 PM, say goodnight and close the door.
Then I do a happy dance.
This is finally ME time! This is the time of the day I can just be myself and do what I want to do.
Don’t get me wrong, I love spending time with my kids and I’m so thankful to be able to be home with them all day. But there is something to be said for kid free time as well. Here are some ideas of things we as moms can do after we say goodnight to our little loves.
- go for a nice walk around the neighbourhood, take in the fresh air without worrying about a kid running into the street. (this is provided your spouse or someone else is home with the sleeping children)
- catch up on Netflix or stream that movie you’ve been wanting to see
- phone a friend and actually talk to them without little voices distracting you every 5 seconds
- eat that last bowl of ice cream (or my personal favourite, a plate of nachos) without having to share!
- relax in a long bubble bath until your toes look like prunes
- read a book about something that interests you, no pictures required
- clean the house or fold the laundry (ok this is not super fun but it does feel good to wake up to a clean house and clothes put away in drawers)
- go out for desert with a close friend (this also requires someone to stay home with those sleeping babies)
- sit in a chair and think (whoever would have thought this would one day be an enjoyable activity??)
- cuddle up and have some ‘wink wink nudge nudge’ time with hubby
- work on that baby book you’ve been putting off (what happened 5 years ago again?)
What are some things you do (or dream of doing) after you say ‘goodnight’? Tell us in the comments